Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July bonus

A couple of weeks ago after dinner we swung by Chez Liberty for some cheese and digestifs. Luckily I'm way behind on my blogging, so I didn't get to write them up until Independence Day, which seems apt.

I should note that this isn't a real review, since we didn't do dinner there. We split a plate of the St. Andre triple-cream cheese, which was heavenly. Creamy (as you might imagine) and rich, firm but not unyielding. Chez Liberty has a lovely little cheese list at very reasonable prices, so they may become our go-to restaurant for postprandial cheese.

I don't know if cheese and brown liquor go together, but we didn't particularly care; I was in a scotch mood, so I ordered a MacAllan 12 off their very well-apportioned scotch list (which may be a touch overpriced or may just tend towards better scotches). Melanie got a glass of Fundador, a Spanish cognac that she liked quite a bit, although it was a bit spicy for my taste.

As the night wound on and Chez Liberty started closing down, the owner came around to talk to the cognac drinker. They've managed to score an 81-year-old bottle of cognac that was literally hidden from the Nazis in France during WWII, and which they'll be popping open this fall and serving at a discount. Needless to say we'll be going back, and not just to eat there so we can write the place up properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment