Monday, May 17, 2010

Review: Taste of Thai

Friday night we went to Taste of Thai with some friends. It was a quirky combination Thai/sushi joint where, as far as I can tell, the sushi is the thing to get. Of the six of us, I was the only one who got Thai, and I regretted it.

They seem to be especially fond of their specialty rolls, which, unlike the specialty rolls at lots of other sushi joints, were not all loaded with cream cheese or other Americanisms. They also had a selection of "normal" rolls, nigiri, etc., which were tasty (albeit smaller portions than I was used to). Their spicy tuna was not spicy, and was ground tuna, which seems to be the trend but still is always a disappointment to me.

Melanie and I split some spring rolls, which were unfortunately fried, but passable. I got the basil chicken, which certainly appeared uncontaminated by basil. The predominant flavors were a) spicy hot (I ordered it three out of four for hotness, and it delivered); and b) half-cooked green peppers. It also showed up 20 minutes after everyone else had finished eating. (The service otherwise was excellent, and they were preparing for a graduation party, so I can forgive that.)

They had a good selection of Asian beers, mostly Japanese; they didn't have Singha or any other Thai beers, sadly. The wine list was short and overpriced.

No comments:

Post a Comment